Sunday, January 3, 2010

Happy Anniversary

Wow!!! Can you believe it? Brooks and I have been married for 8 years!!! Okay so it's not all that long, but most of our friends could still be considered in the newly wed stage. Looking back over the years, I realize that our life hasn't taken the course we thought it would, but I wouldn't change a thing. As a child I always wanted to be so grown up and couldn't wait to get there. Now as I look at our life together, I laugh and shake my head at all the memories we have made. From 2 kids just married learning about life, love, responsibility, compromise, and all those things that come with "Growing up", to where we are now.
We have been through the infatuation stage where all we could think about was each other. The part when you know you are in love with someone and you want nothing more than to share your life with that person. And now to something more concrete, an unconditional love and acceptance of who we are, who we want to be and loving each other for our similarities and differences. We have learned so much about each other these last 8 years and we have had such a good time together.
Our first "home" was in my Grandpa's trailer court. Though Brooks insists on calling it a "Modular Home" which it was, I still call it our trailer. Many memories were made in that house. Our neighbors where a big part of those memories. Between the neighbors nudey parties and an angry neighbor in her bathrobe, we saw more nudity from them than we saw of each other and that's never a good thing! Saturday mornings we would wake up to 100 BACA members revving their engines at the child molester next door, or to find ourselves locked in our house because an out of control Bull got loose in our yard. And an unplanned pregnancy that changed the way we looked at life. Though the baby never developed, it planted a seed, a craving for a baby in our life.
A year and a half later we moved to Provo. We had given up on trying for a baby and decided to live life and enjoy each other. A month later I found out I was pregnant! Brooks couldn't believe it. He kept hugging me and spinning me in a circle saying, "I'm going to be a dad...I'm going to be a dad!" I never knew how much Brooks wanted to be a father until that moment. Though we had a few scares along the way, Maddox made it here and was perfect. At that moment our love grew even more and it was as if a new love had also formed encompassing our little family.
I have loved every moment of our life together and couldn't ask for a better spouse. Every year I find myself more in love with Brooks with a deeper appreciation of who he is. So as another year begins, I look forward to making more memories with my family, or as Brooks puts it "The 3 Musketeers"!

4 comments:

Cali said...

I loved this post. I was laughing at the funny memories, and almost crying at the sweet, heartfelt feelings you shared. You have such a wonderful husband, and little boy. I'm so blessed to be your sister--I learn so much from you! Happy Anniversary! And, seriously, feel MORE THAN WELCOME to come with mom! You don't have to stay long--it would just be fun to have you here! Mom can even go back as early Saturday, so it could be a quick trip! But, I understand if you can't make it out--life is busy when you're managing a family.

Tasha said...

Hey, happy anniversary! I loved your post, it was very heart warming. I love you! Congrats on eight years and counting!

Connie Thomas said...

I love to read your blog. This post did bring a tear to my eye! I love having you so close, and hearing Maddox knock on the laundry room door. I love to be able to hear Brooks playing with maddox, and hear him scream with laughter. I love to hear you singing to maddox, or as you are baking up something good in your kitchen. It just so much fun havung all of you here, and I wish that it could be for ever. Loves to you!

Ken and Jan said...

I'm not sure how, but some how I found your blog! Happy anniversary!