Monday, May 10, 2010

Feeling Like One of the Guys

I have been completely amazed with the kids in our ward. Maddox went into the primary this January and did great. For the first few weeks he went, but was still hesitant. Just before conference weekend the primary had an activity. When we got there Maddox was worried that he didn't have his church clothes on and didn't want to participate in the activities they were about to do. After taking an item out of a bag to see what group they would be in the sweetest nine year old turned to Maddox and said, "Hey Maddox, it looks like we are in the same group. Do you want to come with me?" Maddox's attitude completely turned around. He was excited and turned to waive at me. I was so impressed that a nine year old would turn and ask a three year old if he wanted to come with him before finding his friends.
When the primary came in with their reverence bucks to buy their prizes I looked out and saw little Maddox standing, looking up and talking to all the big boys who had befriended him. I was furthermore impressed when I saw that the boy had taken out his reverence bucks and counted both his and Maddox's. Maddox had had less reverence bucks then he did, so he divided the amount of money equally and helped Maddox make their purchases. They bought two of everything. After they were out of money they went to a table to divide up the items they had bought. They each had the same items by the time it was over and I couldn't believe the maturity of this boy who had not only touched my heart, but who had made primary an exciting place for Maddox to be. Since then Maddox has looked forward to seeing his new friend every Sunday.
After that primary activity we have had the neighborhood kids come to play with Maddox. The youngest of the group is Maddox followed by the kids 8-13 years of age. They are patient with him and so sweet. Maddox loves that they come over and feels like he is one of the big kids.

Here is a picture of the kids playing baseball.

3 comments:

Cali said...

That is so sweet. Sometimes those older boys can be really surprising, can't they? It reminds me of our neighbor boys in OR always playing with Collin--who was only 3 at the time. I think it's really great for the little guys to have that interaction with them. I'm so glad that Maddox had such a great time.

Hey--have I ever mentioned how much I love your playlist? Nate and I just spent the last half hour reminiscing after listening to "Heaven A Place on Earth"--thanks for the trip down memory lane! I'll come back just to listen to your playlist:) Have great night, bella.

Ken and Jan said...

What sweet kids. Maddox is getting so big!

Amberly said...

That is so great! My blog didn't show that you had updated. Sorry it took so long for me to respond. What great boys for Maddox to learn from and look up too! He is so sweet. We had so much fun at the party. THanks for letting us come. I love the blog. It looks adorable. Love you guys:)